Puppy rushed to vets for life-saving treatment after eating potentially fatal pizza

We all know that there are some foods our dogs shouldn’t eat, no matter how try to persuade us with their puppy-dog eyes.

Becoming a dog owner means never enjoying a meal in peace again with every scrap on offer getting lips licked under the table.

One of the foods humans love but dogs really should to avoid is pizza – or more specifically, uncooked dough.

One couple who found this out the hard way were Lucy Trewinnard and her wife Claire.

They were all ready to use their brand new outdoor pizza oven but instead found themselves having to rush their Cockapoo puppy Mabel to their local Vets Now clinic for emergency treatment.

Unbaked dough can be potentially fatal for dogs as the mixture continues to expand in their stomachs, as was the case for Mabel.

Carbon dioxide and alcohol is also produced as the yeast ferments, this can result in poisoning.

The alcohol can be absorbed into the bloodstream causing dangerous drops in blood sugar, blood pressure, body temperature and potentially even seizures.

Promoted Stories
But thanks to life-saving treatment to induce sickness at the Tunbridge Wells clinic, seven-month-old Mabel made a full recovery.

Now, as restrictions begin to lift meaning we’ll probably be spending more time outdoors, Lucy and Clare have shared their experience so other dog owners don’t have to face the same potential fate.

Lucy said: “Since we got Mabel we’ve been really vigilant with things like onions and garlic which could harm her but I never expected a bit of yeast could be so tricky.

“It was undoubtedly the most expensive pizza we’ve ever had, but the main thing was making sure that Mabel was safe.

“We couldn’t bear it if anything happened to her. She’s become such a big part of our lives already.

“The night we got back from Vets Now you could tell Mabel was feeling a bit sorry for herself and she kept giving us the ‘feed me please’ eyes.

“But by the next morning, she was pretty much back to normal – running around crazy, burying things down the sofa and playing with the squeaky Santa toy she got for Christmas.”

Join our brand new website TeamDogs now.

Maybe when you get there, make sharing a picture of your dog in our Top Dogs feed your very brilliant first job.

While eating unbaked dough can result in a bloated stomach in pets, in the most extreme cases, it can also lead to gastric-dilatation volvulus, or GDV, which is a potentially fatal twisting of the stomach.

Senior vet nurse Anna Moran, who was part of the team at Vets Now in Tunbridge Wells who treated Mabel, said her owners did the right thing in seeking help quickly.

“The thing about yeast – which is what gives bread its fluffiness – is that it’s a living organism and, if swallowed by a dog, it continues to expand and that can cause serious health issues. Even small amounts can be dangerous.

“Mabel was a lovely little character and we were pleased to be able to help her. We’re also glad to hear the incident didn’t totally ruin Claire’s birthday.”